With so many beauty products out there, it is hard to find the ones that help you go green. Women, don’t worry. I have created a guide to the most green beauty products on the market to help you stay both beautiful and eco-friendly.
- Dr. Bronner’s Organic Castile Liquid Soap, 16oz, $8.49 at drugstore.com. I like Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap because it is made simply, organically, and a little goes a long way. In fact, the bottle recommends that the user dilute it three to four times for maximum efficiency.
This increases the eco-friendliness of the product because the user does not have to buy more plastic bottles of soap. Though I use it as a body wash, you can use it for anything including mouthwash. The peppermint version smells the best, and tea tree oil works as a natural antiseptic and works well to combat body and facial acne.
- Coconut Foot Crème, Burt’s Bees, $9.00. This lotion is the best I have found for tired and cracked feet, and it just happens to be eco-friendly. Since it is made of coconut oil and not petroleum, it is much more eco-friendly. It also just contains natural botanicals and water as its other ingredients, so that adds to is green profile.
Finally, the tube itself is recyclable.
- J/A/S/O/N Shampoo, about $8, natural food stores and online . It is really difficult to find eco-friendly shampoos on the market because most of them employ synthetic oils to impact the hair. That extra processing that synthetic ingredients need makes it less eco-friendly because it requires more raw ingredients and energy for processing.
This shampoo makes use of plant based ingredients, instead. It is biodegradable and smells nice as well.
- Carol’s Daughter Candy Paint Lip Gloss, $13, sephora.com. Most lipsticks and lip glosses are made with petroleum-based products, so it is difficult to find one that imparts both color and shine but is also eco-friendly. The Candy Paint Lip Gloss does just that.
Almost all shades are free of synthetic dyes and fragrances, which reduces the product’s earth impact. Users also remark that this product lasts a long time on the list, meaning you don’t need to replace it as quickly and use more resources and packaging.
- Hemp Body Butter, $20, The Body Shop. This is a product that is made with both cocoa butter, a natural and environmentally-friendly moisturizer, and hemp oil from the hemp plant. Hemp requires fewer fertilizers and fewer soil resources to grow, so it is more environmentally friendly than other ingredients.
This product is also green because it does not use synthetic products or petroleum.